For more information, please contact Danielle Werner, Director of Alumni Programs, Alumni Relations
Annual Service and Awards Criteria
Each year the Alumni Association's Executive Committee seeks nominees for its annual service awards. These awards are presented to individual alumni, faculty, staff or friends who enrich the UMUC community through intellectual, social, cultural and service contributions.
There are four categories of awards:
- The Distinguished Alumnus/a Award
- The Edward A. Parnell Outstanding Alumnus/a Service Award
- Achiever Award
- Executive Business Leader Award
The nominations are due by February 28.
The Distinguished Alumnus/a Award is presented during the Commencement ceremony in May of each year. The recipient also receives recognition at the University’s Academic Achievement dinner. A special recognition event may also be hosted for the recipient.
Nomination Procedures and Guidelines
- University Deans and Department Chairs (or the equivalent); Alumni Association Board of Directors, Alumni Chapters, Regional Directors, and the alumni body in general may suggest candidates for the award. Those suggesting candidates are welcomed and encouraged to submit additional information for candidates not selected in a given year.
- Full-time University employees are NOT eligible for the Distinguished Alumnus/a Award.
- Current members of the UMUC Alumni Association Board of Directors are NOT eligible for the Distinguished Alumnus Award until three years after the completion of their last term
- Current and past members of the University's Board of Visitors may be nominated for this award.
- Nomination letters must include the following: (1) the name of the nominee; (2) make the case for their nominee, be specific as to why a nominee deserves the award and include a description of nominee's contributions; and (3) the name and contact information of the nominator.
- Nominations should be received on or before February 28 and must include the following information: a resume or curriculum vitae which includes the biographical, educational and professional background of the individual; a list of the individual's major professional affiliations, honors and awards; the nominations form summarizing the specific outstanding contributions which justify the nomination.
- The Associate Vice President of Alumni Relations is responsible for submitting the recommendation(s) to the Vice President for Institutional Advancement who reviews and then submits to the University President for approval.
* The Procedures and Guidelines listed above are recommendations for the nomination and selection process.
Nominations can be submitted by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, contact Danielle Werner, Acting Senior Director, Alumni Relations at (800) 888-UMUC (8682) ext.7126 or 301-985-7126.